God has regulated worship. By this, I mean that God Himself has designated/prescribed in His Word both the avenues and attitudes He desires of those who draw near Him in worship (John 4:24). What follows is a checklist for improving our worship. Am I coming before God to worship Him with a true and sincere heart? (John 4:24; Hebrews 10:22-25).
1. Am I coming before God to worship Him with a true and sincere heart? (John 4:24; Hebrews 10:22-25).
2. Am I allowing my relationships with others to be a stumbling block in keeping me from truly approaching God? (Matthew 5:23-24; 18:15-18).
3. Am I drawing near to God in purity and devotion, or am I allowing sin to be a barrier between God and me? (1 John 1:5-10).
4. Am I so desirous of pleasing the King of glory that my hungering and passionate desire is to draw ever near Him (Matthew 5:6; James 4:8)? Are the cares of the world choking me and my worship?
5. Do I seek to sing enthusiastically and wholeheartedly, to pray fervently, to give cheerfully and generously, to loving remember Jesus as the Lord’s Supper is served and to joyfully anticipate His coming? (1 Corinthians 14:15; 11:23- 28; 2 Corinthians 9:6-7).
6. Am I excited to draw nearer to God through His special revelation of Himself, through His self-disclosure in Scripture? Low views of the Bible do not lead to high views of God and worship. (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
7. Am I drawing near to God with the awareness that the only reason I have such precious access is because of what Jesus did for me on the Cross? (Acts 4:12).
8. Am I worshiping solely because it is my heart’s desire to give Him praise, thanksgiving, and glory or is it more “to get something out of it myself?” (Revelation 4:9-11; 5:8-14). No one would argue that we don’t derive much from worship, but the purpose is to express love and praise to Him!
9. Am I willing for God to mold me, break me and make me a vessel of greater honor in His service as I worship? (2 Timothy 2:21).
10.Am I genuinely and wholly desirous of worshiping Him in accordance with the truth of God’s inspired will? (John 4:24; Matthew 15:6-9).
It’s been said that “Too many play at their worship, worship their work, and work at their play.” May God help us as we seek to truly express our love, awe, and praise to Him in worship.