Our words carry great power! With our words we can encourage and build up, speak with love and compassion and with our words we can just as easily discourage and tear down. If you are an average person, you speak between 125 and 150 words per minute. There is great power on display every time our mouths open. That is why the Bible spends so much time referring to the tongue of man and the responsibility to harness its power (James 3:1-12).
While it is true that our words carry great power – we have nothing on God! Peter wanted his readers to remember the power of God’s words. God’s spoken words were so powerful they could:
1. Create our universe – “By the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water,” (2 Peter 3:5).
2. Flood our earth – “(By the word of God) the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water,” (2 Peter 3:6).
3. Preserve the earth – “But now the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.”
We might fill our days with many spoken words, but they will never compare to the power that is found in the words of God’s mouth. While the Bible does speak often of God’s spoken words, let us never forget the same power that is found in God’s written word. The words of God, recorded in the Bible, are powerful and we must stand in awe of them, just as much as we do in the power of His spoken words.
The written word of God is powerful enough to:
1. Prove that Jesus is the Christ – Acts 18:27-28
2. Convict us of sin – Titus 1:9; Hebrews 4:12
3. Help us know God and His love for us – 1 Corinthians 2:6-16
4. Make us wise for salvation – 2 Timothy 3:15-17
5. Convert us from sin to Jesus – Acts 13:23-49
6. Build up our faith – Acts 20:32
Words certainly contain great power. While we have the ability to speak many words a day, we actually have a much greater ability to hear words every day (roughly 600 words per minute). How much time do we spend listening to the words of God? May God help us to love them deeply and never fail to see their eternal power!