A lot has already been said about it. It’s been mentioned many times in both public and private prayers. Westside’s Vacation Bible School is July 11-14! There will be special Bible classes for all age groups ranging from infants to adults. I’m really excited about the opportunities VBS affords. Here’s a few of those opportunities –
(1) VBS is a special opportunity for us to honor God. “Whatever you do, in word or deed, do all to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31). The heavens declare the glory of God and the angels of heaven constantly sing His praise. Jesus was all about honoring and glorifying His Father and the people of God ought to be all about honoring Him too!
(2) VBS is an amazing opportunity for children to get into God’s word. There’s no better time than when people are young to plant in their hearts and minds the word of God (cf. Ecclesiastes 12:1; Colossians 3:16). The principles taught in our VBS can help young people deal with temptation (Psalm 119:11) and to know real stability and joy in their lives (Psalm 1).
(3) VBS is a wonderful opportunity to reach out to the precious souls of kids. Jesus truly loved children. He valued them, blessed them and willingly invested time in them. This should be true of those who’ve been purchased with Christ’s blood too! If one child comes out of Westside’s VBS with a greater awareness of Christ’s love for them (and ours too!), our VBS will have been successful.
(4) VBS is a great opportunity for relationship building and for working together. There has been an extraordinarily high level of involvement by people in the congregation to help with our VBS. That type of involvement fosters deeper unity, helps us work through obstacles together and get more accomplished.
(5) VBS is a tremendous opportunity to leave a great “first impression” not just on kids in our neighborhood and community, but their parents. May they come to see the church at Westside as “salt” and “light”! (Matthew 5:13-16).
(6) VBS is a real opportunity for all to have FUN together as we think about the most important subject in the world – God and His will. Good teachers diligently and creatively work to involve students. It’s a hands-on process. And this should especially be true of us as Christians as we teach about the greatest and best news ever!
Looking forward to seeing you at VBS each night!